Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Today we laid all the tile in the bathroom. Used white 6x6 tiles on the walls to match what was already around the tub and Nancy picked out a light brown for the floor. Those will look good with the wall color and the dark hardware she picked out. Might want to stay away from Utopia this evening. Peggy is on the tractor loading dirt into the new planting bed. Might be dangerous
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Today I got started on Nancy's bathroom. Replaced some water valves, tore out some sheetrock and generally made a mess. We went shopping after lunch and bought all our tile and bath hardware. We also bought anew vanity top and fixture. Looks so much better. We decided to run a tile wainscot to protect the walls a little better. Tomorrow I'll lay the floor tile and hopefully get some of the wall tile on. We decided to do some venetian plaster on the walls. The color is "tuscany tan".
Monday, February 21, 2011
|So today I am in Rockwall, TX. I'm going to be working at my sister's house this week and possibly next on her bathroom. When that is done I'll be going to my Father's house and doing some repairs getting it ready to put on the market this spring. I know this doesn't have much to do with woodworking but I'm not going to be able to do much in the shop for the next few weeks. I did buy some beautiful walnut from Allen and Allen in San Antonio. The guys there are great. They really take care of you regardless of the quantity you buy. I'll post a picture of the boards I bought when I get home this weekend. Oh yeah, got all the water problems solved for now.|
|Before in the bath|
|We can do better|
|We'll put ceramic tile instead of vinyl|
|We'll replace the top and fixture, maybe the whole cabinet|
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
So yesterday was not good but could have been a lot worse.We had to go into San Antonio to get some materials to repair the utility room wall and take our vacuum in to get it repaired. While driving in the well guy called and said he might not be able to pull the pump. Evidently the pump had heated up because the extreme cold had frozen the pipes at the top and it couldn't push water through. If it gets hot enough the well pipe will shrink.He was hoping to pull hard enough to break the pipe leaving the old pump in there. Install a new pump a little higher and water should flow around the old pump. He said that works most of the time. If it didn't you have to drill a new well! Real expensive! He said he would call me back shortly and let me know what happened. Didn't here from him for an hour and I'm freaking out! I finally call him and he says he got the old pump out. The well seal from fighting him. Good news! He installed the new pump and put what's called a pump saver on it. If the pump is running dry our cannot move water this automatically shuts the pump off. So one problem fixed. Today I have to replace the sheetrock in the Utility room and do some tape and bed. Should finish that and get the washer and dryer back in in a couple days. Wednesday it's off to get some walnut for a couple of chairs I'm doing for us. I'm going to post some pictures in the next few days of pieces I built over the years. So I'll be back on track shortly. Have a great day!
Monday, February 14, 2011
So I got up this morning with the intention of going into San Antonio to get some materials to start a new chair. Wrong! No water. The holding tank (3000 gal.) was empty. Last time this happened the float in the tank was bad. Replaced that and the pump came on and filled the tank and every thing was fine for the next 4 years. This time they are going to have to pull the pump and probably install a new one. On top of that walking back to the house I notice the slab is wet below where the washer is. Look behind and the wall is all wet. Just finished pulling the sheetrock off and it looks like the pipes and valves are fine. Probably a small leak at the hoses. Probably leaking for a while looking at the damage. So now it's into Bandera for sheetrock, base moulding, mud, and paint to fix that. What else can go wrong!?!!? I hope your Monday is going better than mine
Sunday, February 13, 2011
I'm starting this to chronicle my efforts to break into the custom furniture and cabinet business. For the past nearly 40 years I have been in the residential construction industry as a framing, trim and sometimes general contractor. About 12 years ago I started building furniture for our house in Bill Shadle's shop. I had the privilege of living across the street from Mr. Shadle for 25 years. He taught me many of the skills and techniques I use today. He also told me many times how difficult it is to become a furniture maker full-time. I don't intend to completely "quit my day job" right away but with the help of a good business plan and sound marketing ideas I'm going to give it a try. I have recently been working on a step by step plan to get this process going.These steps include: upgrading shop tools, developing designs and building some pieces for shows and as inventory, developing a web site, and establishing a reputation as a builder of high quality heirloom furniture. I'll post some pictures of the shop as I upgrade equipment and of some of the pieces I have built.
|This is looking from the front of the shop. Powermatic 64 table saw|
to be replaced by a 5hp Sawstop. This sucker got my thumb 2 years ago.
|Left side of the shop. Cut off saw and bench.|
|Right side. Dewalt 13" planer and 6" Rigid jointer. Both will be replaced.|
The dust collector will be placed by the stairs in the background
|18" Rikon bandsaw. Pretty good one|
Not going anywhere.
|Small electric tool storage. Doubles as my outfeed table and work bench.|
I'll be building a real workbench when I get a new table saw.
Also will install central dust collection system.