3 chairs

3 chairs
There was an error in this gadget

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Beginning

I'm starting this to chronicle my efforts to break into the custom furniture and cabinet business. For the past nearly 40 years I have been in the residential construction industry as a framing, trim and sometimes general contractor. About 12 years ago I started building furniture for our house in Bill Shadle's shop. I had the privilege of living across the street from Mr. Shadle for 25 years. He taught me many of the skills and techniques I use today. He also told me many times how difficult it is to become a furniture maker full-time. I don't intend to completely "quit my day job" right away but with the help of a good business plan and sound marketing ideas I'm going to give it a try. I have recently been working on a step by step plan to get this process going.These steps include: upgrading shop tools, developing designs and building some pieces for shows and as inventory, developing a web site, and establishing a reputation as a builder of high quality heirloom furniture. I'll post some pictures of the shop as I upgrade equipment and of some of the pieces I have built.

3 comments:

Ian said...

Dad, you need to know that the few pieces of yours that I have are some of my most prized possessions. Your dedication and talent have given an even bigger reason to look up to you. I love you and wish you the best of luck, though I don't think you'll need it.

Stephanie said...

So glad you are giving this a go! You know we are your biggest supporters, especially when it comes to custom cribs!! You have got to do a post on all of your cribs thus far...not to mention lots of the details and cabinetry around your house :) Welcome to the world of blogging...watch out, it's addicting! Ha Ha! We're proud of you! Can't wait to see your latest work...

Ronald L. Duvall said...

Thanks Ian and Stephanie. I will post the cribs. You probably have better photos of Carter's ( formerly Ava's) crib. Send me a couple if you would.