3 chairs

3 chairs
There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I'm back!

I've been busy the last few days working on the chest and it's time to post some progress. Once again I'll start with the weather report: It's great! Warm and sunny with just enough rain.
Here's all the pieces for the chest. All milled and morticed and tenoned.
Had to take 2 pictures to get it all in. Alder is the primary wood and poplar is the secondary.
Peggy helped me glue it together Sunday and it was definitely a 2 person job. This isn't the picture of the glue-up! I guess I forgot to take one. I'll post one of the carcass tomorrow. Sheesh!

Here it is with the drawer fronts all fit to the case. I spent today cutting and milling the drawer sides and backs and got all the dovetails cut. At the end of the day I started cutting and milling the material for the drawer bottoms. Should get that done tomorrow. I have to stain the drawer fronts before glueing the drawers together. Getting close!
And here is the first bluebonnet of the year! This is the plant that I posted the other day. Should be a really good year.


Thursday, February 23, 2012

Update

It's been a little while since I've posted so I thought I would update some things for you. The weather here has been absolutely great the last few days. The bluebonnets are starting to put some buds on and one of the peach trees has blooms on it. Spring is definitely right around the corner.
I finished the two bath cabinets. They turned out pretty good.


Like small file cabinets

I put several coats of amber shellac....

...followed by a glaze to darken and age it some.They also have some small castors as per the customers request. These will be delivered on Saturday. 

Also finished the 3 medicine cabinets and installed them. The stain is a custom color and then shot with a dull-rubbed lacquer. 

I drilled lots of holes so they could put the shelves exactly right.

This is a linen cabinet we re-did last year with knotty alder doors.

Downstairs bath

Last year we enclosed a carport at this same customers house making a huge master closet. They had a closet as part of the bathroom with 4' bi-fold doors. I suggested we remove the doors and make it a cased opening and add some shelves for storage. When it was done the customer asked if I could add drawers and doors. So here is a particle board and knotty alder storage unit. There is another bank of drawers to the right of this unit. She loves it!

And here's the next item. Actually 2 items. This is kind of a mission style chest of drawers. The second chest will be the same size and configuration with couple of design and finish changes. I'm building this one first. It is alder with poplar as the secondary wood. All mortise and tenon case with dovetailed drawers.

One of the many mortises laid out.

The legs have slight tapers on the inside below the skirt.

Working on one end.

I cut this dovetail on the top stretcher to really tie the case together.

Checking the fit of the center stile on the end

This is a dry fit to check panel dimensions and interior stretcher lengths. Lots of parts! Hopefully I'll get something glued together tomorrow.








Saturday, February 11, 2012

Stuff

Sorry I've been gone so long but I've been hard at work in the shop, working on the 2 bath cabinets as well as the 3 medicine cabinets.

Spent a few days making panels for the cabinets. The 2 drawer units are about 24" tall and 16" deep and 12" wide. Since you can't buy lumber that wide everything is glued up. 

Lots of panels.

This is the knotty alder for the 3 medicine cabs. Alder is very pretty and relatively inexpensive.

Since I had lots of dovetails to do I bought a new jig. It's the Leigh d4r pro. You can do variable spaced dovetails instead of being limited to specific drawer sizes. And as with any new tool there is a learning curve. I spent some time learning to use the jig and after a short period I was able to make some good joints. Should help with some up coming pieces I have to build.

These are some of the practice runs I did trying to dial in the jig; both through and half-blind dovetails.

This is the first effort at through dovetails on the jig.

This is the completed medicine cabs.

And the doors.

I decided to dovetail the cases on the drawer units and allow the joinery to show.


Here's a drawer dry fit.

Bottom of the drawer.

And a finished case.


Drawers done.

These will both get some castors on the bottom as per the customers request.

I'm going to put 3 coats of amber shellac and one coat of wax to give it an aged look. It's supposed to be really cold tomorrow so I might have to wait till Monday to finish. Have a great weekend!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Bench final and something new


Here it is: stained with Minwax red mahagony and one coat of oil. Over the next 5 or 6 days it will get 5 or 6 coats of my homemade wiping varnish. Should be ready to deliver by next weekend. I'll have to check Peggy's schedule to find out the best day to go.

Pretty sweet looking, huh?
This is the next project. Actually 2 of them. They are small drawer units for bathroom in Fredricksburg. One of the cases will have 2 equal drawers. The boxes are pretty simple but there are some details in these.


I have to match or compliment an existing antique the customer already has. It will be out of some knotty pine.

The drawers have these rabbeted drawer fronts with some half-blind dovetails.

There is molding to duplicate on the bottom as well as some rollers that will go on the bottom of the case.

Molding on the top also. These units will replace the plastic drawers you see in the background. Tomorrow I'll get started by glueing some panels together.  I also have 3 medicine chests that will be out of knotty alder. I have to draw those up tomorrow. Stick with me! Lots of stuff to build!