3 chairs

3 chairs

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 2 on the bench

Another great day in the Texas Hill Country! Didn't play golf though. I spent the morning getting the seat ready to glue together. Lots of details to take care of that are easier now rather than later. By the way I buy my 8/4 (2") lumber from Allen and Allen in San Antonio. The guys there are great!

The legs fit it rabbeted notches. These are called Maloof joints after the great craftsman Sam Maloof. If you do search on him you'll be impressed by the clean lines as well as the detail in all his furniture. I first saw one of his rockers at one of the Smithsonian museums in DC. It was a double rocker in tiger maple and I was so struck by it I knew I had to learn how to build that type of chair. Still learning! 

This is one of the centers. The front leg will fit in the mortise closest to the bottom. The bottom is rabbeted like the rest of the leg notches. The intermediate back legs fit in the notches at the top.

I decided to do the glue-up in sections since the seat is very long. I used epoxy on all the pieces for strength as well as it's ability to fill gaps. Not that there will be gaps! No way! The epoxy cures overnight. Tomorrow morning I'll glue these three together and let that dry overnight.

Got started on the front legs. They're milled to 1 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 21"

Dadoes are cut before the shape is cut. Above and below the dado will get a 1/2" round over to fit the rabbet on the seat.

These tenons will fit in the mortise shown above. I cut them a little over size. When the seat is completely glued together I'll make them fit.

The inside of the outside front legs (confused?) get a slight taper then all the legs get rounded over. More on that in the days to come.

One of the seat sections. I love to read comments and answer questions so don't be shy. Have a great evening!

No comments: