3 chairs

3 chairs

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I'm Back!

I want to apologize for my absence. I've been doing some repairs at a house in Utopia and haven't been able to get much shop time in the last week. I still have couple more days on the repair job but I hope to get some time this weekend to further the progress of the bench. Peggy has other projects for me also.

                                       This is the sunset Tuesday. Just another day in paradise!


I glued the outside legs a few days ago (I think last Saturday).This shows about what the arm will look like.


Glued the center legs yesterday evening.

And just to show you no one is perfect, I'll tell a short story about this picture. The seat has been wanting to curl up on me since I glued the 3 segments together. I had it clamped to the bench for several days hoping it would straighten and it kinda was. I went to the shop on Sunday to work a little and found that the seat had split on this joint. Not a pleasant sight, but I didn't freak out! I was able to completely separate the joint and using my #5 plane I made a very slight bevel on both pieces- about 1/16" to nothing. The outside legs were already glued on making clamping to the workbench difficult, but it worked well. I glued the 2 parts of the seat back together, re-worked the leg joints, and the seat is much straighter; so it was happy ending. Don't tell Ronny Miller!

This afternoon I was able to shape all the leg to seat joints. This is a before picture showing the plugs in the legs. Front and back outside legs are glued and screwed.

I primarily use a die grinder with a 1/2" sanding sleeve followed by sanding with the random orbit. I also have a 1/2" carbide grinding bit for the die grinder for heavier removal.

I also ground down the tenons on the center front legs.

A couple of after shots.

This whole process took about 4 hours this afternoon.

Back legs are done also. Next is the arms but probably not till the weekend. Jesse thanks for your comment. If you get a chance, send a picture of the cabinet you're going to do. If I can be of any help just let me know.

No comments: