3 chairs

3 chairs

Thursday, December 15, 2011

December 15


Today was a very good day. I made lots of progress on the 3 legged chair and I thought I would share  several detail pictures of the process.

This is one of the front legs with the dado cut. You can see the shape that will be cut. The legs get a 1/2" round over above and below the dado on the inside edge.

The seat notch with the rabbet cut. This is called a Maloof joint.

 Profile cut on the legs.

This is a test fit. Usually there is a little tweaking to get the legs to fit tightly.

These fit really well. This is the back leg.

The legs get rounded over. I start this process with a grinder that has a 24 grit sanding disc, making some sweeping passes. When I have the rough shape I use a couple of rasps to refine the shape. Then sanding, sanding, and more sanding.

One done!

Detail

Looks better. The seat and leg joint area get shaped after glue up.

These are the stretchers for the legs. The longer one will run between the front legs and the other will go from the back leg to the front stretcher forming a tee.

Now that these are rounded I have to drill the holes for them in the legs and fit them. Then we'll glue it all together and turn our attention to the head piece.

No comments: