3 chairs

3 chairs

Friday, December 16, 2011

December 16


Got a lot done on the latest chair. Looking back at my first post I promised to share pictures of past projects and I haven't done that yet. I'll do that next week. That's a promise. For now here are the pictures from today. I guess I need to add a link for my website. You can see it by clicking here.
Here it is! Legs and stretchers glued up.

Then it's time to turn our attention to the head piece. It starts as 3 pieces 5 x 19 x 1 3/4. Glue them together and you have a really thick piece of walnut. It gets a dado on the back to fit the back leg and is then cut to shape on the band saw. The bottom has to be shaped and sanded to 600 because you can't get in there after it's glued on.

And there you go. After the glue dried a while I drilled some holes and reinforced the joint with screws and then plugged the holes. 

The areas where the legs join to the seat will be shaped after the glue is completely set. Usually overnight. By the way I use Titebond II or III almost all the time.

The legs also are reinforced with screws and then plugged.

The stretchers look nice as well as being functional.

Again this will get shaped later. All of these joints will be fared making it look like it kind of grew like this. By the way I did not design this chair. It was designed by a very talented woodworker by the name of Scott Morrison. He builds beautiful Maloof style chairs. You can see his work by clicking here.

No comments: